Friday 28 August 2009

Ross Training

Found this training site sometime ago, RossTraining , on the web, by Ross Enamait,  and has detailed supplementary exercises for conditioning and strength training. I found this as a very good alternative to going to a traditional weight-lifting gym to build up muscles, as it focuses on functional strength and the improvement of conditioning, especially those involved in combat sports. I remember getting confused looks from some gym-goers when I try to "functionalise" my resistance training during my escrima days.
Some articles in this website were published sometime ago (ca. 2004), but in my opinion, are still very relevant. There was even a testimonial by John Hackleman, Chuck Lidell's trainer at the Pit, testifying it's effectiveness. I believe further explanations of the training principles and exercises are in his book, Never Gymless, and other products, but I think the web articles could give you a glimpse of this type of training. This is not by any means a newfangled thing, as I've seen other fighters do this type of training, but this supplements traditional weight lifting and treadmill running, but obviously not techniques training.
I liked the sandbag-construction article, and have made one. Went to a military surplus shop and got a sea bag, then off to Homebase and Sainsbury's to get some sand and self-sealing bags. I previously used the sandbag exercises to improve my conditioning in my escrima days, but now have found the exercises more functional with regards to BJJ.
Let's hope this pays dividends on the mats. ;)

0 comments: