Wednesday 9 September 2009

Cramps!

Attended my first advanced/normal/mixed ability class last night. I'm currently having scheduling conflicts at home, which prevents me from doing the Monday and Friday Basics classes. I was hesitant initially and asked advice from Simon regarding this. As you well know, this is my fourth class, the first three classes were beginners, and I'm sure you will understand my anxieties. Simon was very supportive in this regard and gave me positive comments on my (limited) capabilities - he said, " You are a fast learner and have talent. I think you are going to be a very good BJJ fighter. You are ready. No doubt."

Getting that positive comment from my BB instructor really boosted my self-esteem and shall I say, banished my anxieties away.

So, came in early and got "the white belt" from Vince. Wilson was teaching but was pleasantly surprised that Simon was coming in as well to co-facilitate the session. Clearly, this class is a far cry from the basics class. The techniques - most of them without names (!!), were only shown twice, and then you pair up. I must have looked confused, so Simon paired up with me. He was patient in teaching me not only the techniques, but the details on how to properly apply it to make it work. I'm quite fortunate to get this 1:1 session and I'm hoping I'll get some more in the future. :)

I had several sessions in free rolling and I was paired with a fellow white belt. This was a very good roll for me. I felt I have dominated that session with several mounts and side control. I still lack the flow, obviously, and effective submission techniques ( have tried several lapel chokes and an armbar) - as I felt I haven't done them as effective as I wanted. As I went into another side control, the guy asked me how much I weighed (78 kg), and said that I was too heavy for him. LOL. BJJ should  be effective enough to pit a weaker man against a stronger man. Towards the end, he said that he's tired, so I just left him at that - to be honest, I was tired myself.
My second free rolling was another white belt. This session is different. The person on the bottom has to work with a disadvantage. One hand/arm should only be used - the other should be gripping his own belt. The person at the top is free to use both. If the person at the bottom manages to reverse the position or submit (haha!!), or the top person submits the bottom guy, the session restarts. We started off with me at the bottom and I was thinking to myself, "I find it hard enough to reverse guard using all my limbs, and now, I'm only supposed to use three?!"But surprise, surprise, I was able to reverse the position! I can't remember how I did it, but I did. I was surprised myself and asked my training partner, "What do we do now? Shall I start using both hands now that I'm at the top?" He was as surprised as I am, judging from his face, as he found himself at the bottom.
I had to pass the third one as I have gassed but Wilson picked me again for the fourth one. He asked me how long have I been training and I said that this was my first normal but that I did three basics classes. To my surprise, Simon shouted from the end of the room, "He's good. He's my student." Whoa! That was a surprise on my part. And the blue belt guy was called.

The fourth session started with him trying to achieve dominance but tired as I was, I was resisting with all my limited ability. I managed to get an arm  but as I swung my left leg upward across his body to attempt a triangle choke, my calf suddenly cramped up! Because of that, I lost my concentration and then he reversed and a subsequent tap came from me. He then asked what happened with my choke, and thaought that I had hurt my wrist. I told him of the cramp and apologised and asked if we could roll again. He willingly obliged but my other calf would have none of it. As soon as we started another cramp came, this time with my right calf and that basically ended it. He tried to stretch my calf  but I knew then that it was over that night. Luckily, that was the last session and we ended with the usual handshakes.

I felt I had let Simon down at this point although, truth be told, it was the lack of conditioning that has let me down, as before that I thought I was doing well, techniques-wise ( at my level at least).

Did I mention that Wilson's warm up was a killer?!
-------------------------
Here's what we learned in that session. Simon said that it's imposible to learn the techniques immediately but rest assured that these techniques will be repeated in several months' time, and by then, things would click.
there are no proper names for the techniques listed below but I have named them like I would describe them.

Skirt Choke from Rear Sitting Mount

Arm Bar from Rear Sitting Mount

Modified Triangle Choke from Rear Sitting Mount

Sleeve Choke from Rear Sitting Mount

Rear Naked Choke

OSSSSSSSSSSSS!!

0 comments: